Friday, January 05, 2007

Supporting Character

I'm not sure why the recent Gawker article about Ivanka Trump's book list reminded of a party I threw back in December.

OK, I do know why but Ivanka Trump isn't one I would usually associate myself with. Moving forward:

My friend Diana and I used to entirely judge boys we picked up in bars/clubs/Chipotle based on their top 5 lists. For example, I had an on-going lustful relationship in Los Angeles with a boy who read James Joyce and Motley Crue biographies, while I dismissed boys who included movie series in their Top 5 lists (with the exception, of course, of the Godfathter trilogy, though Godfather 3 leaves room for questioning).

OK so flashfoward to December 2006. I'm sitting in bed with yet another boy who likes candles, coffee and owns a copy of Robert McKee's Story when he asks me to define - like oxford dictionary define - the word "character." He was a film major. These things are important.

I hmmed and haaed and mentioned something about where a person is born, what they like.. and he cut me off. "NO NO NO I hate it when people say that!" he exclaimed, then told me that the definition really is the choices a person makes, which will in turn define their character. Even though the guy turned out to be a douchebag (by character) he got me thinking.

So we flashback to December 2. I'm throwing a party in my apartment and it is totally ruling. I give my friend Chris a tour and as I lead him through my roommates room he points a book that is sitting on her dresser. "Awesome book," he says, and for some reason I got wildly offended. I am very proud of my DVD and book collection and sort of anally move them around on a ergular basis and have to have them in my general vicinity at all times. I could probably buy a soho loft if I stopped buying stuff from Amazon.com.

Chris and I retired to my kitchen and my friend Josh joins us. Josh sort of sides up next to me and whispsers, hey Alli do you mind if I go take a look at your books? He understands.

A few minutes later Josh comes back.
"Uhm, Alli," he says, interupting the conversation.
"Yes Josh?"
"Um, I really like your collection." I turn to Chris and smile. "I really like how you have the magazines up top," he says, "sorted by New Yorker and In Style. Then it's grouped by style - with the few select favorites at eye level - and the plays down below. I like." I giggle and look at Chris who rolls his eyes.
"See?" I say, "Josh, he gets it."

1 Comments:

Blogger Adam807 said...

So Josh is gay, yes? :-)

8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home