Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Please Turn Down the Jennifers

It is the job of most of the people in my office to check Youtube.com on a regular basis. This is not my job. I rarely have time to check websites for fun (though my co-workers call it work), because I'm usually too busy trying to keep my boss far away from a nervous breakdown. The ironic thing is, is that the better I get at that aspect of my job the closer I myself get to a nervous breakdown.

That is, until sometimes I hear a certain song (because my co-workers youtube musicals for work), that draws me up out of the chains of my desk and over to a co-workers desk to stare at the most recent youtube find. This happened today.

I rose up out of my chair, walked around the little wall that separated us and saw one of the best performances I've seen in life - on a computer screen.

Its odd when my office - a Broadway press office - can't stop talking about a certain show. Usually it's all work work work and one night's smash success on the great white way fades faster than a chorus girl's cocaine buzz. Dreamgirls, the movie musical, changed that for my office, and today, watching the original, the one and only Jennifer Holiday's performance at the 1982 Tony awards drew not only me, but each of us out of chairs and to the computer screen where we saw a single woman give her soul away on stage. Magnificent.

I returned straight to my desk, turned up my volume, youtubed Ms. Jennifer myself and instead of checking my stupid emails and fighting fires and avoiding someone's nervous breakdowns I watched, again, his huge voice on my tiny screen. That is, until the last note faded away and i checked my outlook and we had an office-wide email from my boss entitled "Please Turn Down the Jennifers." No body, only subject.

You'd think that a little heart in PR would go a long way. The thing is, you can't ever show it, you have to sit there in front of your screen. "Its work," you say, when in fact it's the little piece of something that could be called work, but is life, real life, that keeps each of us human - never to be turned down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq4uc9b2s1o

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home