Tuesday, April 10, 2007

The Next Big Thing

Sunday night my friend Goldfish and I were sitting on my couch watching poker on TV when I said, "Dude, the next big thing: Rock Paper Scissors. You heard it here first."
He laughed at me and make a crack about thumb wrestling.
"No, I'm for serious!" I protested, and immediately insisted that he follow me to my computer where I introduced him to the wonderful world of competitive, to-be-ESPN-broadcast Rock Paper Scissors.

You see, I was introduced to the World RPS Society years ago by my friend Micah, who taught me all (OK, much. It was a long time ago.) there is to know about poker years and years before that. I remember driving with him, in his Mustang convertible, top down, across the country, sun beating down, as I listened to him spout out various rules and strategies of poker over various tracks and albums that ranged from Tom Waits to Toots and the Maytals to Manu Chao depending on which section of the country we blazed through. I was given 10 days notice. I will never forget.

I sat in a hot, non-air conditioned room in Baltimore in August when my phone rang.
"Alli, I need a huge favor," he said, before the hello.
"Anything." Micah is an Anything friend. Anything you need, whenever you need it. Always.
"I need you to drive cross country with me." Pause. "Next week." 24 hours later we were sitting at a restaurant with the map spread over our table planning the route, and 12 days later we were in the middle of nowhere talking about our childhood, our futures and the Flop.

Needless to say when you have this experience with someone (twice... one year later I pulled the same stunt. "Micah, I need a favor." "Anything." "Drive cross country with me." "Done.") you listen to what they say. Always fold if your hand is under 17. Lie as much as possible. Pretend you don't know anything. Rock Paper Scissors is the next big thing.

Two and a half months ago I sat cross-legged on Micah's bed in Los Angeles with a TV pilot script he had written in front of me. It was 1 o'clock in the morning, the phone was on speaker, and we were talking with his co-writer that lives in New York. I had been called in for some edits, as a third person, as the guy you call when you can't read another word you've written because your eyes will fall out of your head. Pitching a TV show about RPS was the goal. An outlandish notion, perhaps, but only with Anything people do outlandish ideas become a feasible reality.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home