Thursday, April 26, 2007

Where does the good go?

I've been listening to the saddest song ever over and over again the last few days because it's so damn good that I can't get it out of my head, or stop. It's called "Where Does the Good Go" by Tegan and Sara. This has not been really good for my pshyche, as this week is probably one of the most stressful I've ever experienced (mostly because I'm totally. burnt. out.), and all I want to do is cry but I can't, for like the first time in my life.

Anyway, this reminds me that I think I have become the shell of a human. I mean, the song reminds me of that. I tell my roomie the only way I can get through the work day is to be the shell of a human. Coming up on my 8 month anniversary I'm worried I've become too good at that. Toss in a little heartbreak, no time to reflect, and a parental separation and you get a fucking deer in headlights. That's me. This song reminds me of that.

Music is a funny thing. As spring approaches I tend to become, um, more alive... reminded of things that make me happy (short sleeves, sandals, baseball, music...)... and all I want to do is wear short sleeves, sandals, listen to music and go to baseball games... ok, and read.

The other day I was on a crowded train and it was freezing outside and my iPod started to play this really really awesome Tom Waits song (Ol' 55) and I flipped out because to me Ol' 55 was not an appropriate song for a crowded train in winter. It's a summer song, a travelling song. I feel the same way about Where Does the Good Go. It's an escape song. It makes me want to drive. Fast. In a car. See the sky, trees, maybe a mountain. Restless, I am. Ready to be free and stretch and wiggle my toes and shed the walls I've gotten really really good at building. Maybe if I listen to this song enough it'll speed up that process. So if you see me sobbing on the A train it's not a big deal, really, just amazing music.



Lyrics for your sobbing pleasure:

Where do you go with your broken heart in tow?
What do you do with the left over you?
And how do you know, when to let go?
Where does the good go? Where does the good go?

Look me in the eye and tell me you don't find me attractive
Look me in the heart and tell me you won't go
Look me in the eye and promise no love's like our love
Look me in the heart and un break broken, it won't happen

It's love that leaves that breaks the seal of always thinking you would be
Real happy and healthy, strong and calm
Where does the good go? Where does the good go?

Where do you go when you're in love and the world knows?
How do you live so happily while I am sad and broken down?
What do you say it's up for grabs now that you're on your way down?
Where does the good go? Where does the good go?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home